The Prodigal Son

The prodigal son is the most commonly heard parable. Jesus shows 3 distinct characters the father in the palace, the two sons younger and elder

The younger son divide his share of his property from the father that is to him, going to a far country exhausted everything that he had, he was hired to feed pigs and longing to be fed with the pods that the pigs ate, and no one to give reflecting on himself that even his father servants have enough food to eat why struggling here I return to my father say “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Treat me as one of your hired servants.”

an act of repentance of the son for the life which he was living so far.

On the other hand, after the Father is looking for the son for his return 

But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and was filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him, and kissed him.

But the father said to his servants, ‘Quick! Bring the best robe and put it on him. Put a ring on his finger and sandals on his feet. Bring the fattened calf and kill it. Let’s have a feast and celebrate. For this son of mine was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ So they began to celebrate.

“Meanwhile, the older son was in the field. When he came near the house, he heard music and dancing. So he called one of the servants and asked him what was going on. ‘Your brother has come,’ he replied, ‘and your father has killed the fattened calf because he has him back safe and sound.’

“The older brother became angry and refused to go in. So his father went out and pleaded with him. But he answered his father, ‘Look! All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders. Yet you never gave me even a young goat so I could celebrate with my friends. But when this son of yours who has squandered your property with prostitutes comes home, you kill the fattened calf for him!’

“‘My son,’ the father said, ‘you are always with me, and everything I have is yours. But we had to celebrate and be glad because this brother of yours was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’

A small reflection of the parable of the prodigal son 3 questions who am I?

1. Am I the Father who forgives the son for is the sin of the son?

2. Am I the younger son who sinned against the father's love? And repenting came back?

3. Am I the elder son who didn't recognize the Father's love? Even living with him throughout my life?

1. The father forgives the son.

After the sons left the father taking his share which he didn't own. When the son returned to the father realizing the mistake he committed, the father forgives him filled with compassion for him; he ran to his son, threw his arms around him, and kissed him.

I am forgiving others in the same way to others when repent and ask for forgiveness from us. As we pray in the lord's prayer "Forgive our sins as we forgive others their sin" Jesus teaches us to forgive others their sins, As peter as to Jesus how many times I forgive my brother, Is it seven times OK Jesus in reply Seventy-times seven. Forgive others without counting "Only this many times I forgive". As God has showered blessing on us without counting. So let's ask God to help to forgive others. It's not easy but pray for forgiving the sins of other us other. 

2.The younger son repentance from a sinful life.

After knowing that am living in the sinful life am I repenting. Repenting on our own from our sins is not possible without the help and grace of God, yet our we repenting from our sins to live according to the will of God the Father. In our life, at many times we pardon for our sins yet we return to the same sin again with the help of God we can return from our sinful life holding him in our everyday life.


3. The elder son not recognizing the love of the father

When the son returning to home from the field, hearing that his brother had returned to the house the elder one "All these years I’ve been slaving for you and never disobeyed your orders". Yes, all these years been along with the father he didn't recognize his father's love. Instead of being happy with his brother return to the house. He questions the father what have you done to me all these days? As a salve, I served you. Here the sons not experiencing the love of the father even when he was with the father. At many times we too we ask of thing to God of what is not with us. Instead of recognizing how much the father loved us taking care of us all day, protecting us in our life in every way.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment